Friday, February 10, 2012

Vaseline? For What? (Get Your Mind Out of the Gutter!)


So I’ve gotten a request to talk about how Vaseline is supposedly wonderful for your face (and all your other ‘bits’, as my man likes to call them), and how it seriously keeps you looking young way into your old lady days. I’ve used it for years on my lips (don’t make that dirty) before I go to bed and I wake up with soft, supple lips (just don’t do any kissing afterward).

I keep reading that women think that using Vaseline on your face is an old wives tale, and even though my grandma was the one who told me to start using it, I’m here to tell you it works. One woman’s review said, and I quote “JESUS IN A BOTTLE”. LOL. Well, I guess that means it works.

I did a little research and here’s what I’ve found as other uses of Vaseline that we may not know about:

1.  Use it to Seal in Your Moisturizer – at night, do your regular face care routine – face wash, (toner if you use it), serum (if and when you use it – you should), moisturizer, then use a thin layer of Vaseline (please don’t glob it on) to lock everything in. You really can just use it as it’s own moisturizer because it acts as a natural barrier for your skin, therefore letting your skin do it’s thing at night. Either way, use it for a week and see how you like it.

2.  Use it on Your ‘Bits’
Rub it all over your feet and put socks on – sleep with them on overnight and in the am, your feet will be super soft!
- Rub it on your knuckles, knees, elbows and lips (all of your crackly bits will thank you).

3.  Use it as an Undereye Cream – many women have claimed that using Vaseline under the eyes will keep them moisturized and therefore supple much longer than any other fancy cream. I’m trying this trick tonight.

4.  Mix it with Natural Oils for a Moisturizing Mask – mix Vaseline with coconut oil or olive oil and leave it on the skin before bed. Get a washcloth dipped in warm water (not hot! I don’t care how good it feels!) and wipe off any excess that hasn’t seeped into your face. Guaranteed, your face will feel like a baby’s bum (I used to do this as a teenager with a friend who had awesome skin – I don’t know why I haven’t been doing this religiously!)

5. Use it Anywhere! – all the reviews I’ve read have been women using it for a multitude of purposes, including a thicker all-over moisturizer for the winter to put on their arms, legs, neck and chest (one woman said it helped take away the ‘crepiness’ of wrinkles that was her neck area).

I say let’s let go of our preconceived notions of this product and give it a go. It’s cheap ($4 for a huge tub at Target) and it lasts forever. Use it tonight and leave your reviews here – I want to know what you all think!


1 comment: